Sunday, February 1, 2009

new york, new island

This is my new kitchen island that my Dad(a man of so many talents) made for me. He finished it a while ago and it took me ages to paint it and put the top on but finally it's done. I found these wall decals at Jysk, and I think they are fab. They had Rome and London cityscape as well, but I settled on New York. The doors still don't have handles but I think I'm going to wait till we redo the kitchen before I decided on that. The island is on wheels so it can be moved when needed and I think it will work really well for serving large groups "Buffet Style", I'll put all the dishes on the island and everyone can just grab a plate and circle around.

It has 6 inch overhanging for stools to slide underneath . Hopefully I'll be able to find some to go with the cityscape.

Now both of us can be found leaning on the island top with coffee in hand, typing away on the laptop or having a chat. It nice to be able to stand across from each other with the island in between snacking, chatting and drinking, as one of us preps some food. It makes it feel more like the heart of the home, a place where everyone wants to be.It has definitely added some much needed counter space in our tiny kitchen.






I'm so pleased with how this turned out and now I have a New York island.



2 comments:

meplusmolly said...

It looks great! ;0

positivelycupcakes said...

we are also redoing our kitchen and i am hoping to have an island on wheels too! love what you did with yours!